Tuesday 21 June 2016

Rebecca|Daphne du Maurier Review

Hello again! This post is going to be slightly different to other things that I have written about before, and I would love to hear your feedback as to whether you enjoy this sort of post! So, this post will take the form of a book review about the classic text Rebecca, written by Daphne du Maurier. 


Can we all just take a second to appreciate how beautiful the cover is? 

As I study English Literature as a degree I am given a reading list of texts which I need to read over the summer in preparation for returning to uni in September. Whilst browsing the different texts on Amazon I decided I would start by ordering this and begin reading it- this decision was perhaps solely based more on the cover than the blurb but who could blame me?

As I began the novel I was intrigued and definitely wanted to read more. It began with the protagonist hopping from hotel to hotel, dreaming of a time past at Manderley, an English estate. I hoped that it would take place as an epic love story but this was not fulfilled within the novel. 

The novel was definitely interesting at the beginning, with aspects of a Gothic nature creeping in with the hints at a ghostly presence of the ex wife Rebecca. However, this ghostly nature again was not fulfilled.

I began to become uninterested in the novel and frustrated at the protagonist midway through. I dislike Jane Eyre and Rebecca definitely has qualities very similar to this.

However, as I began to finish the novel I sympathised more with the protagonist and even Maxim! I won't reveal why, as this would spoil the novel to prospective readers. 

Overall, I did enjoy the novel as I felt that there were many different twists and turns that I didn't expect. However, I didn't like how reminiscent of Jane Eyre the novel felt and the characterisation of the protagonist or Maxim at times.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave any comments

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment